Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween


Holidays just aren't the same when you become an adult. I woke up today and it seemed like any other normal day, but then I realized that it's actually Halloween. The fact that it took me time to realize it was a holiday was the first sign to me that I am officially an adult. When I was a kid I loved Halloween with all of the candy, pumpkin carving, dressing up in a costume and trick-or-treating. It was so much fun to see how much candy I ended up getting. Oh and what fun it was to become someone or something else for a night! I'm looking forward to the day when James and I have kids so that holidays will acquire the same old fun and kid like excitement again. We'll have little ones to celebrate with...I guaranteed our kids won't let us "realize" it's a holiday.

I remember some of the characters/things I dressed up as for costumes throughout my childhood. Here they are...enjoy!

1. My Little Pony (I had one of those plastic suits that my parents got me from Rite Aid and it fell apart in my kindergarten class so my teacher made me wear a makeshift costume out of paper bags.)
2. MAC Machine (Yes that's right. A "Money Access Center" machine...my parents made it out of a box that I put over my head. 5th grade.)
3. Blonde Joke Book (I pasted sheets of paper with blonde jokes written on them to a box and wore the box. Yes that's right. I wore the box with blonde jokes on them...don't ask)
4. Union City Cheerleader (I remember going to our church for a gathering of parents that would line the wall and hand out candy as all of us kids went by and went "trick or treating". The Christian version of Halloween. Anyways...I was a little cheerleader.)
5. Union City Homecoming Queen (My senior year I was homecoming queen for my high school. That year I dressed up as a terrible looking homecoming queen and went trick or treating with Chewy. Classy I'm sure.)
6. Eastern University Soccer Player (My junior year of college I was a EU soccer player. Boring.)
7. Goth Girl (My sophomore year in college Scott Craig and I dressed up as goth people. That was the night I was introduced to Chai Tea at the Gryphon Cafe....life changing.)

8. Bear (When I was in elementary school I was a big bear. I loved that costume...my mom made it for me. Probably my favorite.)



Ok I'll spare all of you, my faithful readers, with more details. I hope you all enjoy this holiday however you decide to celebrate! Trick-or Treat!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually did comment, but did not know the "protocol" and when I clicked out, it disappeared! Didn't check out all the lingo down below! Anyway, I gave this big lengthy explanation about your costumes that obviously you did not recall...but I won't go into it again! I enjoyed your list!! You did not mention that you won a prize for the MAC Machine...and it and the Blonde Joke Book were not just boxes over your head! I agree...the bear was pretty neat! We still have it for those grandchildren!

Sarah said...

Love it! I must say Halloween is more fun with kids around. I felt a bit like I was dressing up my dolls though :) I loved the flashback to your costumes... I'm just sad there were no PICTURES of you in these costumes :)

Jen said...

Okay how did I miss the Mac machine???? I believe we bonded a year or so later :)

Terri said...

Well I read this a bit late, but you had some AWESOME costumes through the years! A blonde joke book?! So creative!