Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bonjour! Parlez vous Francais?


A month ago James and I were able to go to Paris, France for 12 days. Oh the beauty of old brick streets, quaint cafes and beautiful buildings. There's nothing like the architecture of a french cathedral or the Eiffel Tower. Amidst perfect little shops and historical sights is the Seine River adding its touch of charm to the city. The entire experience was breathtaking and very surreal.
We had the privilege of staying with James' cousin Steve and his wife Rikke and two girls Claudia and Rachel. It was the perfect situation because they are so fun and easy to be around. Their apartment was beautiful and literally right across the street from Luxembourg Gardens. What a life...walking out the door of your building into the gardens for your morning stroll or jog. It's truly amazing.
Not only did James and I get to experience the Parisian highlights such as the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre (where we got the see the one and only Mona Lisa...that was a big deal to me! We also saw Napolean's apartment...below is his dining room. Looks just like ours except our table's a bit bigger),


The Pompidou Center,



Notre Dame Cathedral, Sacre Coure, Luxembourg Gardens, The Arc de Triumph
and the Palace at Versailles (where we rented a boat and rowed on the lake in King Louis' garden....lovely).


















We also got to escape to the french country side for a few days.
The little town of Amboise hosted us in a darling little bed and breakfast. What a fun break it was to get out of the hustle and bustle of city life into the peace and quiet of France. I loved the little cars, streets, shops and...the chateaus!!!!! They call them "chateaus" but they're really castles from centuries ago. I wonder what it would have been like to live in a castle...maybe someday I'll know this side of heaven. If not...no worries, my name means "God's princess" so I'm hoping for one in heaven :)
Probably one of the best things we did was visit the Chateau de Chenonceaux. It was so beautiful and tucked back in the forest. To get to it you have to walk down a lane of huge, gorgeous trees that takes about 10 minutes. We went in all the rooms and had some of the best ice cream ever outside...what fun!




























One thing I really learned to appreciate about Paris is their subway system (The Metro). It was very intimidating to me to learn, but once I did...I loved it! It truly saved us some nights from walking miles. It made me think of that part in
You've Got Mail when Frank says, "Name one good thing that comes from technology." I would have said, "The Parisian Metro!"
I almost forgot to talk about the amazing little church we went to. It is actually associated with New Life and the Ost family. During our time in Paris the spiritual climate didn't necessarily seem "dark" as so many people describe it, but rather "absent". I noticed that my desire for the Lord seemed to dwindle while I was there to where it almost seemed hidden. When we went to this little church the power of the Holy Spirit hit you in the face. I just stood drinking it in as these fellow believers worshiped the Lord in french. It was the exact reawakening my spirit needed. It's similar to when you don't even realize you're thirsty until you start to drink a glass of water. Once you realize how thirsty you are...you can't stop drinking until you're satisfied. That's how I felt in this church. Highly recommended.
Not only was it an awesome experience to see Paris and Amboise, but to do it with James was the best. He is so adventurous and draws me out of my comfort zone. In the midst of it, I'm usually not too happy, but looking back I'm so glad he doesn't let me settle for "safe". We had a great time together and it truly was romantic being in the city of lights with my husband of a year and half!
I suggest that everyone should go visit Paris at least once in their life. If it seems financially "impossible" start saving up now...it'll be well worth it. Au revoir!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

How fantastic, Sara!! I love the pictures and stories. I'm so glad you got to make such amazing memories with James. Love you and miss you!

SaraBethJ said...

Hey Sara, what fun Paris memories you will have. Thanks for sharing all the pics. Hope you guys are well. Love to both of you!

Terri said...

yay! a new post! And such pretty pictures :) Want to do lunch on Thursday with Britta?

Marelize said...

OK, numerous things that I love about this post.

1) Your yellow bag is fantastic.
2) Your pictures are amazing. You look like you're having so much fun!
3) Lets hope for castles in heaven next to one another. We can be neighbors!!!
4) I love "You've got mail" and could imagine you saying your reference to it. :)
5)I laughed at you not being super excited in the moment of James taking you out of your comfort zone but appreciating it now. Isn't that the way it always works?
6) I love you and can't wait to see you in a little over a month!!! Viva la Thanksgiving!

Aaron Shust said...

Sara! unbelievable. I love your France pics and blog. I look forward to reading the rest of your blogs and catching up with you soon. You bonfire speech still brings me joy on cloudy days. we'll figure out a way to get in touch. Hopefully I can see you out in the springs.
God Bless my old friend
a

Anonymous said...

Hello Child!! You DO bring out the best in people!! And I love the dining room...I thought the table looked familiar. I felt as though I could have been in Paris with you. What fun! Love you!! mom